Thursday, August 12, 2010

Another 7T59 comes along.

SOLD April 2015

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water..........another watch is bought and added to the collection!
Say hello to a 7T59-6A00 from October 1991.

This little beauty was advertised on eBay as cosmetically excellent but running erratically - "stops and starts" was the term used, plus "good for parts". And that was the reason I bought it, thinking that as the case and bracelet were in excellent shape I could transplant the movement from my other, somewhat less pristine, 7T59 (see previous blog entry - December 6th. 2009).

However, after I opened the parcel this morning, adjusted the date and time (the watch was stopped), it has kept running. As I type this, more than 10 hours have elapsed and the 7T is running nicely, keeping good time.

I am hopeful that whatever the malfunction might be (or have been) can be easily corrected so now I will just wait and see if it stops and, when or if it does, then I'll have it looked at.
In the meantime, it will provide company for it's worse-for-wear sibling!


UPDATE: Sunday 15th. August.
It did stop....about 14 hours after I initially set it running.
So what I did was to remove the case-back, the internal shroud which acts as a positive contact on the battery and then the battery from its little hole.
I checked the voltage, cleaned the battery surfaces and also made sure that the negative contact in the bottom of the socket was okay, reassembled and then, following the instructions, shorted the positive of the battery to a point marked 'AC'. The back-plate was then screwed back on.
After going through the sequence for resetting the time, the watch has now been running for more than a day so I am hopeful that it has now returned to its normal state. We'll see.


UPDATE to the UPDATE - Monday 28th. November 2011
I'm pleased to report that this watch has been running constantly, keeping excellent time, for over a month now.
I had removed the battery late last year, then shelved the watch.
This weekend I decided to see if I could get the 7T59 operating reliably, so did nothing more than clean contacts, lightly (very lightly) lubricate the moving bits and then bought and inserted a fresh battery.


Hey Presto!
Running beautifully ever since.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce,
    i am an Ex-pat living and working in France
    I walked past a jewellers shop in Grenoble, and just saw a most beautiful looking precision chronograph instrument shrouded in a light film of dust amongst a gaggle of modern day he-man chrono monstrosities.
    I enquired and was stunned to find it was a Seiko! It was a Saturday and had the blue 'Samedi' date that immediately reminded of an old hexagonal shaped Seiko I owned and treasured back in the 1980s. The stopwatch feature was mindblowing to say the least, the horologer/jeweller demonstrated the functions with a rare infectious enthusiasm of the sort you associate with a master craftsmen from a Dickens novel. I was smitten and had the watch prepared, cleaned, new battery, time set, and fitted to my wrist with 2 links removed like a tailor fitting a suit to a customer. I couldnt believe the fuss the assistants made in locating the user manual and guarantee papers. At this stage mind you the numbers 7t59-6A00 meant nothing to me and could have been the serial number of the service plate of a washing machine for all I cared about Japanese quartz timing devices.

    When the papers were finally found with much relief, the Horologer appeared almost emotional yet resigned when he mentioned that that it had been a dear shop soiled resident since 1993! I nearly fell on the floor when I saw the date 1991 mentioned in the user manual! I even asked myself if I were of sane mind to blow €500 on such an old if untouched, unworn brand new mint watch. Now a week later I realise I would have been insane not to have bought it. I own a Tag Heuer Carrera chronograph (since 2004) , and as much as I love that watch and will keep for all time this new Seiko too has really captured my heart and imagination that I didnt know a Japanese quartz watch could
    Interesting article on your bimetal watch here, is it still running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that very interesting anecdote.
    The watch equivalent of a classic car "barn find"!

    You asked:-
    "....Interesting article on your bimetal watch here, is it still running?"

    No, unfortunately.
    I have been in touch with the Seiko service centre in Sydney who cannot give me a quote to repair it until looking into the problem.
    I'll eventually get it attended to but not at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a gold 7T59 with black face for sale. its been unused for years in my draw. Any offers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you would like to drop me an email I'd certainly be prepared to consider buying your 7T59.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback and comments are most welcome.